Wonderings on Steampunk Reading - Heartless by Gail Carriger

Finally I have managed to finish the first book for the Steampunk Reading challenge over at Dark Faerie Tales



I say finally, because I was half way through Heartless by Gail Carriger when disaster struck and my kindle broke.  I was just a few weeks over the warranty so had to wait until I could buy myself a new one and then I could catch up and finish the book.

Book Description
Lady Alexia Maccon, soulless, is at it again, only this time the trouble is not her fault. When a mad ghost threatens the queen, Alexia is on the case, following a trail that leads her deep into her husband's past. Top that off with a sister who has joined the suffragette movement (shocking!), Madame Lefoux's latest mechanical invention, and a plague of zombie porcupines and Alexia barely has time to remember she happens to be eight months pregnant.

Will Alexia manage to determine who is trying to kill Queen Victoria before it is too late? Is it the vampires again or is there a traitor lurking about in wolf's clothing? And what, exactly, has taken up residence in Lord Akeldama's second best closet?


This is the forth in the Parasol Protectorate series, a Victorian, paranormal, steampunky mash up of wonderfulness.  I was hooked right from the blurb on the first book, with mentions of werewolves, vampires, parasols and tea (some of my favourite things) how could I not be?  After thoroughly enjoying the last 3 books this one also did not disappoint, one of the big selling points of this book is the strength of the characters Gail Carriger has created, from the Soulless Heroine Alexia with her desire for things to be proper no matter the circumstances, including giving birth, her werewolf husband Maccon who shows a much softer side in this book to the always charming always dapper vampire Lord Akeldama (a favourite of mine).

The 5th book Timeless is out shortly and I for one can't wait.

Comments

Popular Posts