A (late) New Year Ritual

Last night I finally got around to doing my New Year candle wishes. I'm not sure why it has taken so long but I couldn't seem to find the motivation to do it. It might be post Christmas blues or the fact that 2013 was in the whole a really good year and I was reluctant to say goodbye to it (a bit like the Christmas Doctor Who when I really didn't want to see Matt Smith regenerate :-( oh I did cry). Anyhow I pulled myself together and got the candles out. 12 candles of all different shapes and sizes lined up to represent the 12 months of the year.


 I meditate over each month in turn, thinking about the way it makes me feels, the sights, the smells, even the weather and what I can do to make the most of that month.


For some months the answer is clear, take February.


In all honesty, February is my least favourite month, something about it gets me down.  So I know that I need something to look forward to, so my wish for February is to learn/do something new.  I have no idea what that will be yet, but it will be something fun and exciting. :-)

Other months take a little more time, I have to stare at the candle, breathing softly and allow my imagination to completely takeover.


The months roll by in my head, I'm fully immersed in each one, enjoying all the possibilities.  I remind myself that this is how I should actually approach the start of each month, even each day, thankful for all that it could bring.


I get to December and wonder why I'd been so mopey before hand, I'm sure that 2014 will be an even better year.


All finished I take the time to thank my little companions for their help:

Seraphina barely showing interest.


Rascal, who's been poorly, but is much better now is just happy that it's warm and quiet.


Oh, and this little guy was watching the whole thing, I told him that if he behaves he might even get his own candle next year. :-)


I hope that you have all had a wonderful start to 2014.

xx

Comments

Dear Rachel,
I like your ritual very much and hope that it brings all sorts of wonderful things, new learning and new creativity to your New Year!

Thank you so much for your visit to The Tearoom! It is always such a delight to see that you have stopped by and made lovely comments!

Wishing you a beautiful day and a wonderful New Year!

Betty
Elf in a cage! Soooo cute! I keep my pygymy puffs in a cage together ;) Maybe I should string them with fairy lights too!

This is a gorgeous New Year Ritual Rachel! I think I have to say January is my least favourite month. Back to uni, dead of winter, no Christmas to rouse my spirits. February at least I get to enjoy the pink glittery hearts of Valentine's day.
Rhissanna said…
What a calming and reflective ritual. It's nice to see something that's about thinking forward, rather than looking back. Good luck for February!
Such a beautiful ritual. I will do this at some point too. Thank you so much for sharing Rachel. xxx

Popular Posts