Wonderings on a Day of the Dead Doll

Hello everybody!

I've managed to get through all the wonderful Halloween party posts.  Vanessa was once again the perfect hostess and held a wonderful party over at A Fanciful Twist.

Halloween was rather busy for me last night, I went to my craft night and finished of my very first doll from clay for a challenge posted by Art Dolls Only.

I found the challenge through Tracey-Anne McCartney who not only has a wonderful blog Jasmoon Butterfly but she also has some of the best Pinterest boards around! I already had the basic doll shape made and had been wondering what to do next with it so I thought, why not give it a go.

So here she is, my lovely (so far nameless) lady.


Her body was an old jewellery doll.  I removed the jewellery "arms" leaving just the torso then sculptured the shoulders and head from air dry clay.


I made the dress from scraps of netting to make it look raggedy and needle felted fleece for her long messy hair.


I have to say that whether they are made out of cloth, felt or clay I am really enjoying doll making.  I have tons of ideas for more, I could just do with more time to work on them!


Comments

Unknown said…
Wow - she's fabulous! Love her needle felted hair! And, I am right there with you on wishing for me hours in the day hehe! xx
Oh my gosh she is amazing! I adore her! Great job Rachel, I love it!
Victoria Stitch said…
oh wow you're so talented!! I love her make up and long white hair!
She is absolutely beautiful!!! You did a wonderful job, Rachel. I have some great news for you...you won my Fanciful Twist Halloween Party giveaway! Hooray for you! Please contact me with your email...
theresamacnaughtonatgmaildotcom. :)
Doll making seems to be such a creative field, a way to truly express creativity almost limitless. I like your dolls a lot, you must continue making dolls!

And as for bringing more of magic and fairytale into life; if you make such a list I would love to read it! :)
Persephone said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Persephone said…
Looks like a "Día de los Muertos" variation of Marie Antoinette! Love it!
Hello Dear Rachel!
I love your Day of the Dead doll so much!! She is just beautiful! I can't wait to learn what you name her!

I am always grateful for your visits to The Tearoom and am beyond happy that you also follow me on Twitter and Pinterest!

Wishing you a wonderful day!

Betty
Sarah said…
She is lovely! Good luck with your fair. One piece of advice I would give you is to have business cards to give out. I made quite nice ones myself in the end as I didn't have time to buy any. Although I didn't sell much I did give a card to anyone who looked interested! I think (hope) I made some good contacts! Now the challenge is to get some of my dolls listed in my shop!
Queenie Believe said…
Congrats on the awesome day of the dead doll, she is wonderful. Doll making can be great fun!
Always, Queenie

Popular Posts