Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

I've been wanting to write a blog post about this for a few weeks now but thought I would wait until the first episode had been shown in America (I think here in the UK we are on episode 5).  I won't say anything about future episodes though as I don't want to spoil it for people.  If you haven't heard about it at all here is the little blurb from the BBC:

"With magic long since lost to England, two men are destined to bring it back; the reclusive Mr Norrell and daring novice Jonathan Strange. So begins a dangerous battle between two great minds."


I love this show so much!!!!  I remember reading the book while I was on holiday in Turkey.  I was sat on the beach while a waiter brought me cups of turkish tea (which is gorgeous btw) and I just read and read and read.  When they announced that they were going to be making a tv adaptation I was a bit dubious, how could they bring such a World alive?  I needn't have worried, I was hooked right from the very begining.

There is a certain point in York Minster that sets the standard for the special effects that only gets more impressive the further into the series you go.



The sets are amazing, Norrell's library is gorgeous, and I think most of the readers of my blog (who I know love books and libraries) will also think so.

The characters are also wonderful, The Gentleman with the Thistledown hair is one of my favourites.


Well I'll leave it there before I give away too much but if you have seen it, I would love to know what you think.

Comments

Ms Misantropia said…
I was wondering about this show, but noticed the lack of female leads and decided to give it a pass. Maybe that was a hasty decision?
Victoria said…
Fantastic post, sounds like one I would love to watch! any thanks for sharing it! Shine on!!
Victoria
There are times (like right now) when I wish we had more than just basic cable. It seems like I miss out on all the good shows! And I don't like buying the DVD's when they finally come out because I'm only ever gonna watch them once. Seems like such a waste of money. Cheap bugger, aren't I? LOL
Rhissanna said…
The first episode is free to see on Youtube. Not a pirate, this is BBC America's own channel, so if you live in the USA, go and see it now. (If you're in Canada, I'm very, very sorry.) I've just seen it and it was wonderful!

I'm not sure how long it's available here.
This looks good! I am with Ms. Misantropia… I tend to steer for shows with strong female leads, but I'm guessing it's made up for in its wonderfulness?

Popular Posts