Haddon Hall - Part Two

I'm so pleased that you liked the photos of Haddon Hall, it is such a wonderful place. Before I show you some photos from inside I wanted to answer one of the comments from Ms Misantropia who thought that she might have seen Haddon used on a tv show.  She was right!  According to their website its been used as a setting for several versions of Jane Eyre, Elizabeth, Pride and Prejudice, The Other Boleyn Girl and it was Humperdinck's Castle in The Princess Bride (which makes me want to watch the film all over again for the 6th millionth time).

One of the first places I wanted to share with you was the chapel.


  I wasn't expecting it to be covered in such gorgeous wall paintings.


Apparently they date back to the 15th century.


Love the depictions of various creatures.


This one of three skeletons was my absolute favourite though.

  

The main hall:


complete with tapestries,


Antlers,


and imposing fireplace.


The wood paneling and beams in the ceiling helped give the feeling of a warm welcoming home rather than an untouchable monument.


One of my favourite places to go when visiting a stately home is the kitchens.  You always get a feeling of the hustle and bustle that it would have been filled with.  Given how much this stone step has been worn down Haddon has certainly seen a lot of life.


I think that the kitchen still gets used occassionally for demonstrations and things as you could still smell the smoke lingering in the air from the bread ovens.




The main oven that would have been used for roasting meat.


I loved the Long Gallery.  It had wonderfully carved wooden walls.



The amount of windows and the lighter wood gave it a airier feel.  Apparently it had been used as a ladies walking area in the 17th century so they didn't have to go outside.


I loved this photo of how it looked in the 1930s.


I think that it is these chairs that you can also just see in the above photo.



I had such a wonderful time at Haddon Hall and I really hope that you enjoyed me sharing it with you.  I'm hoping to go again in the Winter when they decorate it for Christmas. :-)

Comments

Oh I'd just love to see it decorated for Christmas! How could they not use it for television and film, it is such a beautiful and historical place, and perfectly photogenic.

Oh and to answer your question about the retirement home my family purchased! It is a fully functioning home for independent senior citizens, with 13 ensuite apartments. It already has residents and employees, pretty much all that changed is the ownership transferred over to my parents when they purchased it and they are continuing to run it with the same residents and employees as it already had. My parents are in their early 50's but my brother and step-siblings and I will likely be taking over the business when they want to retire, as we are all in our 20's and 30's!
Rachel,
It's so fun to see more of your photos from this glorious place! Hoping someday Mr. V and I will have the chance to visit places like this ourselves. Thank you, by the way, for your sweet comments! I hope your day was lovely as well!

Wishing you a lovely rest of your day!

Betty
Oh, those carved walls, and the wood is the perfect colour ... not too dark! I bet it's beautiful at Christmas. :)

Popular Posts